Sep 1, 2010

Adventure: Lake Paige

As promised, I'm updating with some adventures from the Nemacolin Woodlands Resort. And while this one isn't particularly adventurous, it was practically a religious experience for me. Because let's face it, I am obsessed with canoes.


Nemacolin is a place of true class with more money to spend on amenities and features than any place probably should. One of those features is the inclusion of a canoe museum on the banks of the largest lake on their property, Lake Paige. Yes, you read that right... a fucking canoe museum. I discovered this unpublicized feature while hosting a canoeing event on the lake for work. Small in size but big on historic value, this little lakeshore building is stocked with some of the coolest old canoes you can ever imagine from around the world dating back through centuries. I utilized an off day at the resort to check them out while Lavaricky had come to visit to worship the old vessels appropriately... and of course do a little paddling of my own.

The collection did not fail to impress. Native American canoes, Thames Racers from London, Venetian gondolas from Italy... they were all there, as were some practically ancient pieces of gear like paddles, rudders and sails. Awesomely historic. Am I the first person to become a canoe nerd?

Just wish ol' Joe Hardy bought a few more canoes to throw in there! But of course I couldn't see all those canoes and not do a little paddling. Once I ran out of old boats to gawk at I unloaded my own canoe of the WJ and humped it down to the docks. It was a nice leisurely paddle around Lake Paige with Lavaricky in the bow, surrounded not by wilderness but by mansions and a PGA golf course. Interesting change of pace, eh?

Simple. But satisfying. I got to combine the classy resort I worked at with my inner history nerd and one of my favorite pastimes: paddling! Too bad Lavaricky was there to practically ruin it.

Tally-ho!
-Crash

1 comment:

  1. I think this Lavaricky girl is cute! I doubt she ruined anything.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome!

This blog focuses on the travels of Captain Crash, a Pittsburgh native and outdoor guide with a knack for adventure. With a few sidekicks and two great Jeeps, Crash finds incredibly unique and scenic areas throughout Western Pa, WV, NY, OH, MD, and beyond. The adventures are typically off the beaten path to places almost completely unheard of today and often involve camping, offroading, ATVing, paddling, biking, hiking, backpacking, climbing, urban exploring, rappelling, cliff jumping, ghost hunting, urban legends and more.
Follow CaptainCrash95 on Twitter