Nov 10, 2010

Adventure: Sandy Creek Trail

 As some of my sidekicks know, I've never been much into biking. Call me a wimp, but I guess I just always let peddling fall into the background of adventures like paddling. (Pun with a picture, lolz!) But have long planned to complete a through ride of the Great Allegheny Passage upon its completion. With that time growing nearer, I've turned to riding a bike here and there as a form of adventure as well as training. On a freezing day while I was still in Clarion, I randomly decided to take a spin on the Sandy Creek Trail as a way to take in the fall colors.
http://images.enhancements.org/8-Rail-Trails/Sandy-Creek-Trail-Tunnel/MaysMillTunnel1/905524566_YahsY-S.jpgLike most of the biking trails that are of the non-biking variety, this one is a stripped down railroad line, originally intended as just the beginning of a route from New York and Chicago, with small town Franklin envisioned as a bustling transportation hub. Much to the investors' dismay but adventurers' pleasure, the full line of the Jamestown, Franklin, & Clearfield Railroad was never realized, eventually leaving a scenic corridor along Sandy Creek and the Allegheny River. At only 12 miles, its a short trail with few amenities but its packed full of features with numerous bridges and even a tunnel along the route from the village of Van to the Fisherman's Cove. But the best feature of all is the breathtaking views of the autumn leaves, something the Clarion and the surrounding Pa Wilds are well known for.




Click read more to see the entire ride after the jump!




It was a freeeeeezing day but I headed out solo on my mountain bike (my distance bike was unavailable). For the sake of convenience, I decided to start at the southernmost trailhead in Van all the way out then double back for a 24 mile ride. It would be a brutal attempt without much time in the cold, but I was up for a challenge and even moreso the fall colors.

I parked the Jeep at the trailhead in Van and didn't waste much time before heading out, where you're immediately greeted by old bridge abutments overhead. I did waste a lot of time taking frequent breaks to enjoy Sandy Creek and the bridges crossing it in the early goings. This would bring me beyond the Rockland trailhead and over several feeder streams... and of course fantastic views of the foliage.

















That brought me up to the Deep Valley Tunnel (that's what she said!) which was built circa 1907, and about a century later it had been converted for pedestrian use. They brought down the size as you can see by creating a concrete liner inside which is actually filled with old tires. Awesome. Even better, the tunnel is flanked by great trestles to cross at each end. When I headed in, I made use of the headlamp I had stashed in my pack. Seriously, it's tougher to see in there than you might think; even with the headlamp and interior reflectors I had a few near misses with the wall.











I didn't have to pedal much further to make it to the greatest point along the trail: the fantastic Belmar Bridge. This huge span crosses right over the majestic Allegheny River about 3 miles south of the town of Franklin. This brilliant truss structure offers perfect views of one of the state's best river valleys.








This wasn't my first experience with this awesome structure: I had passed under it once while canoeing from Oil City to Emlenton and again when I biked the Allegheny Valley Trail, which passes right under the Sandy Creek Trail when it spans the bridge. Flashbacks:

The Belmar Bridge from the Allegheny River, Summer 2007...

  The Belmar Bridge from the Allegheny Valley Trail, Winter 2009...

The other end of the bridge brought me to the Franklin trailhead, where the last segment to Fisherman's Cove begins. I considered saving it for another day but I figured if I picked up my pace I would still have time before sunset. Besides I did have that headlamp afterall, eh? Not quite as many pictures for the rest of this because I was hurrying more, and, well there just wasn't as much to see. The last segment followed a road part way before making its way long the Allegheny. I did pass some old oil industry remnants, and a sweet old Caboose that I couldn't help exploring though! Fisherman's Cove also had some nice views of the confluence of the Allegheny and Big Sandy Creek from a small bridge over the latter.







The trail dead end's at an old dirt road. I took a nice break sitting next to the bike while I scoped out the map one last time. Time to head back. The second twelve miles was the same old stuff and with very little daylight left, I didn't mess around stopping for pictures. 12 miles straight back to Van and the Jeep. Woo.

Great trip and great exercise.Can't beat a bunch of great trestles, a tunnel, and most of all spectacular fall color all along the way in just 12 miles of trail. Sandy Creek Trail, Captain Crash salutes you.

Tally-ho!
-Crash

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome!

This blog focuses on the travels of Captain Crash, a Pittsburgh native and outdoor guide with a knack for adventure. With a few sidekicks and two great Jeeps, Crash finds incredibly unique and scenic areas throughout Western Pa, WV, NY, OH, MD, and beyond. The adventures are typically off the beaten path to places almost completely unheard of today and often involve camping, offroading, ATVing, paddling, biking, hiking, backpacking, climbing, urban exploring, rappelling, cliff jumping, ghost hunting, urban legends and more.
Follow CaptainCrash95 on Twitter