Nov 11, 2010

Adventure: Minnehaha Falls

http://www.mspmoretolife.com/photoContest/large_Minnehaha_Falls_II2.JPG

This one is wayyy out of my jurisdiction.

Minnesota is renowned for its countless lakes, making many people forget about its many waterfalls. So when me and Bilo's annual Penguin game trip brought us to the wonderful Twin Cities, I made sure to incorporate a waterfall into our travel plans. Luckily, I needn't send us out of our way to do it. Minnehaha Falls is right in the urban fabric of St. Paul and Minneapolis, dropping over 50 feet on its way to the mighty Mississippi River.

It was the dead of winter when Bilo, Mary, Liz, and myself visited so the falls were an incredible curtain of ice to explore. And its just just a damn fun name to say. Minnehaha.

(Summer time picture on the right blatantly stolen from www.mspmoretolife.com)




My awesome winter pictures:







So of course I had the up the ante and explore a little further. It looked like I could climb up to those gaps in the ice and walk under the cliff. So I did, coaxing Bilo to follow. We were rewareded with and absolutely STUNNING cave of beautiful blue ice. Pictures will never do justice to just how cool it was. I helped Mary and Liz climb up to enjoy it too.









And then I chased a bird when we were walking back on the trail!! OMG!!!

If you're ever in the Twin Cities, Minnehaha Falls is a must see whether its warm or cold. Its easily accessible, a short walk and just truly scenic. The fact that it was frozen over at first was a little disappointing, but we quickly realized that it may have made it even more interesting. Fact: Minnesota is cold. Now say it with me, Minnehaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome!

This blog focuses on the travels of Captain Crash, a Pittsburgh native and outdoor guide with a knack for adventure. With a few sidekicks and two great Jeeps, Crash finds incredibly unique and scenic areas throughout Western Pa, WV, NY, OH, MD, and beyond. The adventures are typically off the beaten path to places almost completely unheard of today and often involve camping, offroading, ATVing, paddling, biking, hiking, backpacking, climbing, urban exploring, rappelling, cliff jumping, ghost hunting, urban legends and more.
Follow CaptainCrash95 on Twitter