Jan 7, 2011

Adventure: Prayer Rock

Reposted from the Archives...

Crash's Introduction:

"Ohhh-oh! We're halfway there, ohh-OH! Livin' on a prayer. Ok, I couldn't resist the obvious Jovi reference. This one is short and sweet though so there will be little opportunity for lyrical quotation. I was on my way to Carlisle after camping near State College for the night to meet up with Spess. Actually, I was on my way to Thousand Steps while on my way to Carlisle using a map of overlooks in Central Pa as a guide when I relaized I would just a few miles from Prayer Rock. I had never heard of it before, but it appeared to be right along a road that passed over the mighty Jacks Mountain in the Appalacians. So why not one more stop on the chain? I traversed away from the beautiful farmland to head right up the mountain to see the view from a narrow ridge. We'll make it, I swear."
Please 'Read More' to see the pictures and commentary after the Jump.




Crash's Pictures, with Commentary:

"
I had no idea what to expect but I knew I was close when the mountain leveled off and the ridge got nervously narrow. When I saw the parking area the view was obvious and its namesake was too: at this peak of Jacks Mountain was a pointy rock outcropping and two religious memorials, a makeshift one and an older, more permanent kind."



"Out of convenience, reaching the overlook required no hiking, no rock climbing, and no offroading. I was right there to enjoy not one but two overlooks. To both the North and South I was treated to views of Appalacian highlands and Mennonite farms and towns in the emerald valleys far below. Awesome. "









"Well, just because rock climbing and offroading weren't necessary doesn't mean I didn't want to do them. And since the rock formation didn't have any vertical spots, the Jeep got the call to go play on some rocks. The result was some cool poses with an even cooler background."






Crash's Conclusion:
"Just goes to show that even though the bulk of my adventures are thoroughly planned and researched, sometimes some cool spots will just jump right out at me. Prayer Rock was an absurdly basic stop, but the peacefulness was matched only by the quality of the not one but two awesome views. Not bad from something I found right along the road. But as satisfied as I was, Thousand Steps were still calling my name so off I went. It doesn't make a difference if we make it or not."


From Kirby...

Please accept apologies from both Crash and myself for faltering once again with this web project. Hopefully my archive post will spur on the consistency that we strive for and our fans seem to enjoy.

//Kirby//

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome!

This blog focuses on the travels of Captain Crash, a Pittsburgh native and outdoor guide with a knack for adventure. With a few sidekicks and two great Jeeps, Crash finds incredibly unique and scenic areas throughout Western Pa, WV, NY, OH, MD, and beyond. The adventures are typically off the beaten path to places almost completely unheard of today and often involve camping, offroading, ATVing, paddling, biking, hiking, backpacking, climbing, urban exploring, rappelling, cliff jumping, ghost hunting, urban legends and more.
Follow CaptainCrash95 on Twitter